When selecting not just a blogging platform, which has lost popularity over the years, WordPress has evolved into being the CMS (Content Management System) of choice for website owners.
But why? What's the "lure"?
First of all, the software is "open source" so there are virtually no limits at what can be developed on the platform, and that also means it is free.
Free to download from WordPress' official site. Yes, this does link to a .org, which is the official site and the .com is the official "we will try to get you to buy all sorts of stuff..."
There is a great online community, so if you get stuck somewhere, post in the forum and you can usually get an answer the same day and sometimes within an hour. It is people helping people which is really awesome.
So what type of sites can you create with WordPress? Here's a few:
- create a blog (hey, this is how WordPress started!)
- create an online store (WooCommerce is a great option which has a free version and a ton of paid premium plugins to make your store shine)
- put your portfolio up for the world to see.
- if you are an affiliate marketer, you can publish a review site
- create a membership site (MemberMouse is our best pick for a paid addon)
- create a single page site to promote a product or service
- create a forum
- and a ton more other options
It is estimated that over half of all the new websites published online are WordPress sites.
Are there security issues with WordPress to be concerned with?
It is rare that there is a security hole that affects the WordPress core that causes a security breach and your site is hacked. The most common cause is an outdated version of WordPress (there are regular updates), outdated plugins, and plugins from suspicious authors.
It is important, along with anything else, to safeguard your asset by having a strong password and verify the plugins you install have been tested and rated by the WordPress community.
Be safe and if it sounds too good to be true, it might be a good idea NOT to install that plugin and go with one that has a solid reputation.